Follow me:

Our Front Door Makeover

Earlier this week, I shared how Adam and I transformed our old shutters with a fresh coat of Blueberry Twist from Behr. As awesome as that makeover was, I think it is fair to say that I love our front door makeover even more. Before we get into the nitty gritty about removing the kick plate, repairing damage, and correct painting techniques, let’s just sit back and admire how beautiful this thing is…
What a transformation right!?
Ok, let’s talk about how I got this thing done. 
First up, I wanted to remove the brass kick plate and repair the damage it left behind. Best case scenario, I expected to have to patch a few screw holes. Well, I wasn’t lucky enough to end up with a “best case” scenario. When I removed the kick plate (and the thin cork barrier behind it) I was left with many holes and some rust damage. Here’s how I felt about that:
After a lot of Goggling and a prolonged stroll through Home Depot, I had a plan to fix the damage before painting. (FYI, I have a wooden door with a metal front and back. Therefore, I was dealing with a metal surface. If you are removing a kick plate on a door with a wooden surface, this exact plan of attack obviously would not work for you… also, you wouldn’t have rust. So, there’s that…)
(1) Use wire brush to remove as much rust as possible.
(2) Use power sander with 150 grit paper to thoroughly sand all the damaged areas.
(3) Carefully fill defects in door with filler.
(4) Let filler dry overnight.
(5) Sand filler again until it is smooth and level with the rest of the door.
(6) Thoroughly clean surface of door and let it dry completely.
(7) Paint! 
Of course, painting itself required a bit of prep work. First and foremost, I used painter’s tape to tape off the frame of the door to prevent getting blue where I didn’t want it. Then, I had to remove the existing hardware and let’s be honest — that brass piece of crap ended up in the trash can FAST! I replaced it with this nice set I found on Amazon for only $70. Since we decided to go with a bronze finish and I wanted to keep the door knocker (it has character) I decided to simply spray paint it to match the new hardware. 
When it came to the actual paint, the job went as smoothly as it did with the shutters. As with the shutters, I used a small foam roller for the flat sections of the door and an angled brush for the “inset” parts. Here’s a bit of a visual for you:
The arrows denote where I used a foam roller and the direction in which I used it. If it doesn’t have an arrow on it, then I painted it using the angled brush. Also, this picture gives you a good idea of what to expect your patch job to look like after you’ve finished. It isn’t pretty is it? In fact, after the first coat of paint I was actually a little worried because you could totally STILL see where I had patched up the damage left behind by the kick plate.
See how the damage still shows up after one coat?
Much to my delight however, a second coat took care of that and you can’t see the patch work at all. Woo! In case you were wondering, I let the paint dry about 30 minutes in between coats. 
Once the paint was dry, it was time to add the finishing touches by installing the new hardware, putting back on the newly painted door knocker, and applying an adorable decal I bought on Etsy over a year ago! I don’t remember the exact shop I bought mine from, but you can find lots of options with a simple Etsy search like this one. So after all that hard work, it was time to just sit back and admire the new view…
And of course, there is still a lot of work to do on our front porch to make it the dream I’ve been pinning about for quite awhile. But for now, instead of focusing on doormats, welcome signs, and flourishing plants, I’m just going to spend some time hanging out and appreciating how far we’ve come on #FlorkenFirstHome in only a year. I sure do love this home and I love its welcoming entrance even more now. 
Share
Previous Post Next Post